Dedert's new range of spray dryers, built around the innovative, patented high speed rotary atomizer, adds to its expansive portfolio of leading evaporation and drying technologies and enhances Dedert's reputation for quality and performance. The new rotary design, based on magnetic bearing technology, eliminates the need for high maintenance gear drives, bearings, shafts, oil lubrication and cooling systems, providing unparalleled flexibility for the most demanding applications.
Key features of the rotary atomizer:
- Built around magnetic bearing technology.
- Capable of 16,000rpm, designed to run below first critical speed.
- High capacity units available up to 350hp.
- Immediately compatible with existing installations.
- Complete strategic units held in storage in Chicago, IL.
- Easy to maintain and service.
Advantages of Rotary versus Nozzle Atomization:
- Product particle size can be easily adjusted via disc speed control.
- Rotary atomization eliminates the need for a high pressure feed pump, piping and multiple nozzles.
- Rotary atomizer can handle products with higher solids and viscosity.
Dedert can provide a complete liquid concentration to dry product plant for the food and chemical industries. Dedert spray dryers are used in the food industry for products such as: ingredients, spices, sweeteners, flavors, botanicals, nutraceuticals, vitamins, minerals, emulsions, flavors, proteins, yeast, starches and sugars.For the chemical industry, Dedert spray dryers are used for products such as: specialty chemicals, inorganic chemicals, minerals, pigments and dyestuffs, and ceramics.
Single and Multi-Stage Spray Dryers
The spray drying system can be in single or multiple stages with integrated fluid bed processing. The fluid bed system is typically provided for post drying, agglomeration, conditioning and cooling. Dedert's spray drying systems are available from pilot scale up to 20,000 kg/hr evaporation.
Single-Stage Spray Dryers
The single-stage spray dryer is the most common and flexible solution for drying a full range of products in the food and chemical industries. Dedert's spray dryers are equipped with a proprietary hot gas distributor, which ensures optimum contact with the drying medium in the drying chamber. The liquid feed is dried to a fine powder in the drying chamber and discharged from the cone bottom or conveyed with the exhaust air to a primary separator, either cyclones or a dust filter. The drying configuration is primarily co-current but can be offered in other configurations depending on the specific application. For heat sensitive and difficult-to-dry products, integrated cooling for the chamber, roof and hot gas distributor are provided.
Multi-Stage Spray Dryers
Dedert's multi-stage spray dryers include the following equipment/features:
- Rotary or nozzle atomization with adjustable design for optimal contact of atomized droplet and powder fines
- Production of non-dusty, free-flowing products
- Powder is easily dispersible and re-wetable
- Lower bulk density and particle size from 100 - 500 microns
- Agglomeration using fines recycle and re-introduction to an atomization zone and/or Fluid Bed
- Integrated Fluid Bed design to handle more difficult products and improve drying efficiency
- External Fluid Bed design for final drying, processing and powder cooling
- Complete 'Clean In Place' systems available
- Dust explosion protection to latest NFPA, Atex, VDI requirements
- Direct and indirect heating using a wide range of heat sources
- Proprietary 2-stage cyclone discharge systems for improved powder collection
- Wet 'Clean In Place' dust collector available
- Air dehumidification systems available
- Energy recovery
Modular Spray Dryer
Dedert offers spray dryers in a fully modular design for customers looking for a small scale production plant. The multi-stage dryer has the flexibility to operate as a single-stage, two-stage or three-stage dryer. It is pre-piped and pre-wired for ease of installation and has an evaporation capacity of 150-200 kg/hr water. It has both internal and external fluid bed units for drying, cooling and conditioning. The dryer features both rotary and nozzle atomization, and powder agglomeration is possible with a fines return system. Heating systems are either indirect or direct-fired with gas. An hygienic food-grade design is available with multiple heating options.